Hurricane Gustav
GUSTAV
An Emotional State of Unrest
September 2, 2008
It has been three years to the date. Where are we now? We are reliving the nightmare. It is called a hurricane. Not Betsy, not Camille, not Katrina but Gustav. Gustav sounds like such a nice name when it is pronounced correctly. However, Gustav was not a name that any of us were interested in hearing. We are still trying to recover from Hurricane Katrina.
Another darn hurricane! “I don’t know what’s wrong with me but I am feeling sick all over again.” “I am too old for this! I can’t keep leaving and coming back.” “When I leave this time, I am not coming back!” “I cannot afford to leave. Hurricanes are not included in my budget.” “Pop is worrying me to leave now!” “Mama, I think you will be okay in New Orleans a few more days. It is crazy around here! Everybody is scared to death! The people are panicking and are afraid!” Sounds familiar huh? It is a repeat! Except this time, we are prepared! Are we really prepared? Were we really prepared?
Who makes the choice for us to leave this time? Who made the choice for us to leave? Do we decide or does the government decide? The local government decided. Evacuate NOW (8/29/08)! It was rumored that the electricity and water would be turned off on those that refused to leave. Strange, New Orleans’ residents are expected to return home on Thursday (9/4/08) and most (70%) are returning to homes without electricity or water (NO Agenda). Go figure? Can they really do that? Or did the gust of Gustav shut down the water and electricity?
Where were people housed? Some were in shelters, some were in hotels, some with family and/or friends and some financially challenged themselves and purchased hotel rooms and meals. Do you know that folk did not eat and were not offered a meal if they were not awake when food was served in the shelters? Did the shelter staff take the time to ensure that everyone received a meal? What was the purpose of registering and taking count if meals were not going to be ensured? Oh, I know… to screen for criminals. How the heck we increased the crime rate over night? Amazing!
Were provisions made for the disabled at the shelters? Don’t worry God looks out for the babies, the elderly and the mentally challenged! Did Grandma say that or is it written in the Bible? No, Grandma said, “God looks out for babies and damn fools, cause she knew there would be many.”
What about my property? I could not afford insurance after Hurricane Katrina. “I have insurance but I cannot afford to pay my deductible.” “ Can you believe it…. my deductible went from 500 to 4,500 dollars since Hurricane Katrina?”
Who will protect my property during Gustav? We cannot get back into the City until Thursday (9/4). Do the looters go back into New Orleans first or does the homeowners go first? All I know is… I need to secure my property! The State has setup blockades so that we do not re-enter. I need to go home! I need to eat and I cannot afford to stay on the road wandering. “I am legally blind!” Did you say blonde or blind? It does not matter. I am on a fixed income. There was no financial relief during Hurricane Gustav.
Huh, what about food stamps? There were food stamps for everyone! Come one, come all to the food stamp brawl. How many food stamp offices did you say were open in New Orleans? Well, counting the one office that was open in New Orleans…um, one. Heck, I don’t know. They were opening and closing offices. Keep your sneakers on. “You think you’re hungry… you are gonna be starved by the time you make to a Food Stamp Representative. “
Regretfully, we continue to encounter challenging weather situations, that causes us to be physically, mentally and emotionally up rooted from our comfort zones. Some of us complain about the minor inconveniences but was it worth it? Would you leave if you had to do it all over again? Certainly, the minor inconveniences that many experienced while seeking safety is minimal in comparison to the challenge of being trapped in a city where there is no lights or water. I am looking forward to the day when we enter that “Perfect City” where there are no more tears, no more deaths, no more suffering, no more potholes, no more looters and NO MORE HURRICANES!
Deidra C. Thomas-Murray, MSW, GSW
Labels: Gustav

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home